Thursday 11 February 2010

preparing to depart....

I leave for Mongolia next friday........

I will be living in Ulaan Bataar for a year, working for a hospital as a nurse trainer.  I am going with VSO, and I don't know at the moment where best on my blog to put the disclaimer, not being technology savvy (I recently came into possession of my very first, and very own laptop computer, I joined skype but managed to reject my first call as I thought it was an internet pop up...and I then spilt coffee all over the lap top, which miraculously survived, but seems to eye me with nervous anticipation every time I use it now...) so I will put it in here for now - I cant remember exactly how it goes, but the gist is that I am volunteering for VSO, but the views expressed in this blog are my own and so if I come across as dodgy, then thats my business not VSO's so dont blame them if I say stupid things....

Um...at this stage there isnt much to write about - so far my preparation has mainly consisted of stock piling thermal underwear, as the temperature will be minus 20 or so when I arrive, I am also stock piling herbal sedative tablets, Valerian, Hops etc, as I am anticipating being overwhelmed and bewildered for the first few weeks.  I also anticipate experiencing massive culture shock.  One of the reasons I am going is because I really WANT to experience a different culture, and I plan to really try to go with the flow and respect and learn about what goes down out there, but all the same, it is still going to be a shock to the system at first.

I cant wait to meet the people I will be working and living with, and I am looking forward to getting stuck into the job.  I want to see the sights, hear the noises and smell the smells of mongolia, but I do hope I will have a nice bed out there with nice pillows because when it comes to where I sleep I am the princess and the pea.  Its an unfortunate trait, I ken, but I cant help it, I can put up with almost any discomfort or deprivation except for a lack of pillows.  In fact, I am going to bring a couple just in case....

So - there ends my first post.  

3 comments:

  1. CAFFFFEERRRSSS!!! You have made it!!

    I hope you aren't freezing your toes off too much and that you have been provided with enough pillows to accompany your 2?

    Drink lots of vodka and dont steal too many babies xxxx Zod xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see photos and read about your adventures!

    Wrap up warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zod, when it comes to babies, too many is never enough.xx

    ReplyDelete