Tuesday 1 June 2010

Summer sun, somethin's begun

Sain bain uu!

Well, I still have the stinking cold but the sun is BLAZING! This weekend was like being on a mediterranean holiday.  And, like a true "Brit Abroad" I hung out with the lads and got sunburnt. 

I have been reading over my last few blog posts, and it seems like I have just been either partying or battling with mutant mongo viruses, I havent really talked about the fact that aswell as this I have also been working hard!  I have a five chapter booklet on the way, covering nursing fundamentals, Infection control, The nursing process, Pressure area care and pressure sore prevention, Caring for the patient with disabilities and pre and post op nursing.

I am still writing lectures madly, and organising translations, which with nursing terms is an arduous process.  IN the UK i could say, "this patient has friable skin, Waterlow score of 15 as sacral area macerated due to urinary incontinence" for example, and my colleague would immediately know what I was on about.  Here though, not only the language is foreign, but also the concepts, so each word becomes a long explanation.  it is a fasconating process, dont get me wrong, I am relishng the challenge, and I find it very satisfying to come up with transferable metaphors and examples.  but it does take rather a long time.

I'm going to give my students a test on friday, and also give them homework, they each get a very generalised nursing scenario, and I want them to write a little about what they would do in the situation, or in some of them it is what do they think or feel about a certain set up.  I HOPE that this will give me some idea about the prevailing attitudes and modes of practice in the hospital, thereby giving me an insight into the kids of things that I need to address after covering the basics.

I am also trying to design a way of auditing infection control, but it makes my brain ache so I am putting that on hold for now.  I am also doing two 2 hour lecture/seminar sessions per month at the Chingeltei Community Health Practice, and have my schedule for that sorted, last week I did Coronary Heart Disease, next is Asthma and Respiratory disorders, then Diabetes, then the health implications of alcohol misuse.

I was on Telly on sunday talking about health and staying healthy, and extolling the benefits of abstaining from alcohol.

I missed seeing myself on TV though as I was in the pub.

Right, off to sunbathe...........yeee haaaa

No comments:

Post a Comment