Saturday 17 April 2010

why looking where you are going and paying attention to what you are doing are important. A cautionary tale.

So - this weekend I have kept quite quiet, I got my money sorted eventually.  On the monday I was so fed up, I walked the 5 miles to Kates house from my work, and she cooked me a lovely supper, and lent me some money for bus fare home, and some food the next day.  However, I managed to get my UK card ratified for use in Mongolia (the guy on the phone was like 'sorry, where did you say you were?', 'outer mongolia', 'really?', 'yep'.)

Then I got an SOS from a stressed Kate, so I was able to repay the mercy mission, and went to hers armed with Vodka tonics, and got my listening ears on.  We were very restrained with the VT's, and I still got an early night and was functional the next day at work.  Was starting to get frustrated again though, as one of the two computers in the office have disappeared, leaving me nowhere to write my lessons out.  So I spent friday working at the VSO office, but still didnt get everything done, so I have come back in today, all pious working on a saturday, and the f***ing printer isnt working, so I dont quite know what to do, so I thought, I will update my blog, as I have been neglecting it so thoughtlessly lately.

So - this morning was a kind of housework and stuff day, I was all organised and was workign my way through my laundry, darks, lights, towels, sheets etc, while also making myself a bacon, cheese and tomato omlette, watching the news on BBC world, and sweeping the floor.  This turned out to be taking multitasking a step too far, and I inadvertently left the hose on to fill the twin tub, without turning it off 'drain' function, this led to a disasterous chain of events.  The bathroom flooded, water spilled out into the hallway where my ghd straighteners, possibly the most prercious thing i own, were sitting - in my haste to simultaneously rescue them and turn the water off, I managed to smash my knee into the edge of the door frame.  As I doubled over I noticed that the plug for the twin tub was swimming in the water, and I think my heart actually stopped beating for a second, I was convinced my time on this earth was up - cut short by a freak domestic electrical mishap.  My knee was killing me, and howling and cursing I then realised my omlette was in danger of burning so I hobbled to the kitchen where I managed to smack my face on an open cupboard door.

I felt like i was in an episode of Fawlty Towers, it was utterly ridiculous.  However, my ommelette was fine, and so I ate it (off my chopping board as I dont have a plate) while sitting down to watch the news, which was boring, as I felt it best to tackle the flood with a full stomach, and having let my injuries settle a little.

it was kind of good, as it meant I ended up giving the bathroom floor a good scrub.  I jsut hope it didnt go through the ceiling of downstairs.....

I have left my straighteners drying on the windowsill, and I will let you all know if they are ok.

1 comment:

  1. mate - as long as the GHds are ok 'don' worry abou' it!'

    p.s I love the titles to your entries - this one particularly is very Cath! Although it is usually referring to someone ELSE not looking where they are going...

    ReplyDelete