Saturday 17 April 2010

Putting the 'ace' into Face.

aaargh, I know - I have been so slack, life goes so fast here and I cant keep up.  So, I did my lecture on Wound Assessment at the Chingeltei FGP.  It went really well.  HAving observed the last one, I had some ideas of how to structure and deliver the information that would keep the interest of the nurses.  ONe of these tactics was to include graphic images of leg ulcers in various stages of infection, necrosis, maceration etc.  yummy!

I was very pleased with how the session went and I have been asked to come back to do another one.

I was starting to get frustrated at work though, things just werent getting anywhere.  My boss went away for two weeks, so my interpreter and I were left floating somewhat, no input or guidance.  I was apathetically researching teaching subjects, but my heart wasnt in it as I didnt know yet who I would be teaching, how often, or when I would be starting.  My interpreter was getting bored and demoralised, she didnt get paid on time, and when she did it was less than she was expecting, I didnt have enough work for her to do, and the other staff were draggin us willy nilly round the hospital, and trying to get me to practice on patients.  It was all getting a bit out of hand, and I was losing the will to live, which was a shame after a good, high energy start.

So I arranged to go and spend some time in Darkhan, with the other VSO nurse trainer, who had been in post for a year, and was getting on very well.  With tis trip organised, I could relax and enjoy my weekend.  On Friday I attended a meeting at VSO abotu various aspects to do with living and working in Mongolia, various project updates, and general discussion.  It was quite a positive meeting, and afterwards some of us went to The Bull, a hotpot restaurant.  It was a fun meal, and I was feeling extra happy as I had recieved that day a parcel with an outfit in it for going uot dancing.

After the meal we went to a pub quiz, which was very fun, it was the launch, so there were lots of people (all ex-pats, but never mind) and everyone was in a good mood.  After the quiz we headed to a nightclub called Face.  Which is hilarous, and pretty cool.  They adopted the notto 'more is more' when they put in the disco lights though, it took days for my vision to return to normal!  But they played some wicked tunes, and I was a dance floor staple for the night.  I even got some admiring attention from Mongolians, one girl pushed my friend out of the way to dance with me! 

Felt like I danced all my troubles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment